sex of my babies i realy hope they are hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loupan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Here are my two silkies im pretty sure the white one is going to be a roo [​IMG]
    HONEYDEW
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scooter i think maybe a hen [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

orville black orp im thinking maybe hen

[​IMG]

Penny we think jubilee orp [​IMG] realy hope its a hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can get some better pics if needed thaks everyone [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    to young wait till they are at least 6 weeks, 10+ if you want a better guess from everyone...silkies are very hard to sex almost 90% of the time you have to wait till they crow or lay to tell for sure

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Awww...they are all so cute. But yeah...you're going to need a few more weeks before I'd hazard a guess at sexes.

4. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    ok thankyou the waiting is agonising arrrrrrrrrh lol

5. Imissmyroofabio

Imissmyroofabio Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:see which ones can fly well for a chick- EX-flying up, across or anything that others can not do well, for if it can fly, it's most likely a roo- it may not work 100% of the time, but it helps.

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    They're adorable!

7. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    Quote:see which ones can fly well for a chick- EX-flying up, across or anything that others can not do well, for if it can fly, it's most likely a roo- it may not work 100% of the time, but it helps.

I didn't know about this trick when mine were very young, but it has proven to be true - my roo at less than a week flew out of the box and down onto the floor, and I found him curled up next to my shoe. The hen never left the box. Not sure about reliability across the board, but I thought it was very interesting when I heard about this and it applied to mine.

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

problem with the flying idea, silkies can't fly, they can't jump very well either. My most precocious flyer was a hen, she would escape anything and everything and fly out. but yes my roo's (bantams mainly) are the first to start jumping up, roosting high earlier, etc. but its not a true fire method of sexing by no mean.

Loupan your chicks are too young yet to sex, especially the silkies. Your white, the comb is going to be more of a normal color as opposed to a normal dark grey/black silkie skin color, so thats not indicative of sex. [​IMG] Silkies can take 2-6 months depending on the individual birds to be able to sex. [​IMG] and yes I agree the waiting SUCKS. [​IMG] The other two chicks within a few weeks you should have a very good idea of sex.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nice chicks. Any guess as to gender would be just that - a guess. Patience.

10. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    thanks so much it realy does suck but its also real exciting lol i have never prayed so much [​IMG] i pray for my eggs to hatch ,pray for chicks to be ok,pray for them to be hens and pray they ok when they go outside [​IMG] [​IMG] all i think about is chickens now [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by