Sex of my crested Swedish flower and others..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Litlchikbigcity, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Litlchikbigcity

Litlchikbigcity Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    Thank you in advance for your help in trying to sex my babies first pics are crested flower all are 4 weeks...second is a Wheaton maran ...second is I think a EE ;)not sure need help on that one..and what it is more grey but as getting more feathers like splashy dark blue dunno..bought all from a breeder,,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Your Marans is a pullet. Cockerels feather in black and yours has the wheaten colour of a pullet.

3. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    first one seems like a cockerel....

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 on the Marans as pullet since the girls of Wheaten feather in light brown/, black is primary for the boys

Your EE looks to be a pullet at this time if we look just to the comb. Watch the pattern, it should stay even. It is molting hard with juvenile growth, so it is difficult to see if what the colors are doing. If it begins to look like a patchwork quilt, or red bars come into the wing bows, it is a roo.

I'm not familiar with Swedish Flower, so I'm not sure if the girls typically can get precocious combs early, but when compared to the roo's are still obviously less than the boys. I also am not sure how many SF you are posting...3? or 4? You seem to have some comb development on the top one, but no color yet. Some color on the bottom one, but not a lot. I'd watch for continued comb size and color development indicating roo, comparing to the middle one which seems to be pullet with smaller and paler comb.

Other than the Marans, too early to be certain with the others. I recommend posting again in a few more weeks.

LofMc

5. Litlchikbigcity

May 10, 2014
    thank you so much for the replies, I was afraid you would say my flower was a roo, the pics are of the same chick, only one, I'm glad my maran is a she, now I'm crossing my fingers for my EE ....time to start looking for a new home for my flower, thanks again.

6. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The SF is suspicious, but I'd wait a few more weeks. You can't compare gender of different breeds. Some breeds the girls get larger comb size, but when you compare it to the roo at an early age, you can see the real difference.

I'd prepare myself that it could be a roo, but wait at least a few more weeks to see where that comb is going. I'd also do what I could to view pics on the internet of SF chicks at the age of my chick to compare what they look like to confirm if I think roo or hen.

I've given precocious girls away too quickly, and lost good layers!

LofMc

7. Litlchikbigcity

May 10, 2014
    Agreed...;)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

9. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    You know you can get no crow rooster collars if you live in town... I didn't know about them last year when i gave away my rooster, but i plan on using one this year.

10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I've personally wondered how those work. That would be great if they do.
    LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by