Sex of my Muscovy ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DoublePlusGood, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DoublePlusGood

DoublePlusGood Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2015
    Port Townsend, WA
    Hi everyone-

I'm a first time poster, long term lurker. Was hoping someone could take a look at my Muscovy ducks and see if they can determine their genders. Three of them are 13 months old, and two are 10 months old.

[​IMG] 10 Months Old

[​IMG] 13 Months Old

[​IMG] 13 Months Old

[​IMG] 13 Months Old

[​IMG] 10 Months Old

I am really hoping I have at least one female in the bunch. (Fingers crossed)

I'm not seeing any egg laying or mating behavior so far. Maybe they are too young? They all, from time to time put their mohawks up, if you know what I mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    How big are they compared to each other? Do you have any that are much larger or much smaller? Muscovy drakes are HUGE compared to the ducks.

Also, very pretty color!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. DoublePlusGood

Feb 14, 2015
    Port Townsend, WA
    Well, thank you for the reply. They are all relatively the same size, so no help there. With my luck, they're all drakes.

Are there any behavioral clues I can look for to help determine their sex? They roost on the roof and do not allow us to pick them up. But I have noticed a couple of things about their behavior that might help:

They all put up their mohawks if they think we're getting too close.

They all waggle their tails if they are coming over to see us (generally because we have food).

Sometimes they stand around in a circle facing each other and bob their heads while vocalizing with one another (looks like they're having some kind of intense discussion or maybe argument).

They occasionally nip at each other's feathers and will nip at our chickens' feathers if they think the chickens are too close.

Not sure if any of that helps...

One more question - at what age does the size difference between drakes and hens become apparent?

4. DoublePlusGood

Feb 14, 2015
    Port Townsend, WA
    My son also said I should mention that we have caught one of them hanging out in one of the nesting boxes on the floor of the chicken house a couple of times now. However, no eggs, so I'm not sure that indicates anything.

5. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    What kind of sound do they make? Is it a chirp/coo sound, or huffing like a dog panting?

I've heard people say they can see the size difference between the drakes and the ducks after 8 weeks or so.

6. DoublePlusGood

Feb 14, 2015
    Port Townsend, WA
    I have heard both sound from them. The chirp / coo is common for them. The huffing sound is less often. But, I'm not sure if they all make one or both sounds. Will have to observe them more closely to see who makes which sounds.

Are either sound particular to either gender?

7. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    The chirp/coo is the noise the girls make. I've heard them doing the huffing, too. The boys just huff.

8. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Mind you, anyone with more experience with scovies is welcome to jump in. Mine aren't here yet, so everything I know I know from here or watching videos on YouTube.

9. DoublePlusGood

Feb 14, 2015
    Port Townsend, WA
    Can the males make the cooing chirpy sound at all? I think they all make the chirpy coo sound, especially when they stand around in a circle bobbing their heads at each other and having their duck discussions.

I know at least one makes the huffing sound at our silkie rooster when the rooster gets in the duck's face.

And, thank you again for your help! We are first time muscovy owners and have been wondering their gender for the past 8 or 9 months!

10. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I have had muscovies for just under 2 years so I am not an expert. Sorry I can't tell you the sex just from looking at your pictures. When I had ducklings hatch last summer it seemed like it was forever before I could tell the difference and that was only because some began to look smaller than the others.

It takes even longer before the red area on the head begins to enlarge in size and look ugly. Yes... I think the old drakes are ugly lol

One thing I have noticed is that my drake that is about 8 months old, will 'hiss' a lot ... and I often see him standing and whopping his wings as if he is air drying them.

He is very large compared to the hen.

Both sexes will raise the mowhawk.

It does seem forever before the hens lay eggs. I had read online last year that a muscovy hen can hatch 3 sets of ducklings but it sure didnt work that way for me. Perhaps I should have separated the mother from the babies after a few weeks, but it is so much fun watching them grow up, I didnt do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by