sex of nonbearded silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allykay219, Aug 26, 2016.

1. allykay219

allykay219 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got these silkies off some one on Craigslist. I was told it was a pair and they would mature soon. When I went to pick then up I thought they might be both roosters but they were filthy and I felt bad, so bought them anyhow. They loved getting and are sweet, so I'll be keeping them either way. But, I figured I'd ask you guys.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Age?

3. allykay219

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm not for sure. The ad is still up it was posted 2 months ago. It says they will be laying in four weeks and I have owned them for a month but no eggs yet. I wasn't really comfortable around the people. They had 4 silkies all look same age and filthy. They didn't have any other chickens. But they had alot of dogs caged up. So I just got them and left lol

4. allykay219

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

This is them a month ago

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They sure look a million times better since you have them.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Well, they've certainly improved a lot! I'm having a tough time here. Age would probably be the determining factor, but since you don't have that, I'm not really sure. Maybe someone else will come by that knows better, or you will have to wait until one crows or you get eggs.

7. allykay219

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    I let them free range today with my other chickens and one let the rooster breed and the other one didn't. So, hopefully at least one is a hen lol. It sucks that they are so hard to tell the gender

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by