sex of polish?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2overeasy, May 28, 2010.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I have 5 8-wk old white crested black polish. I can't, for the life of me, tell which are cockerels and which are pullets. With the rest of the chicks, it's not been a problem because I can tell by their combs. Of course I can't see combs on the Polish. I've looked for other clues like the cockerels being taller, cockerels being more assertive, cockerels having longer, more upright tail feathers. However, I still can't tell. Anyone have any other way I can tell?
    Thanks!

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    you tell by the crest. males will have feathers grow traight up like a rock star and females feathers gro to the back making a rounded crest appearence. they are yper easy to ex once crest feathers come in.

3. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Thanks! I'll go back out and look in the morning. Do you think I'll be able to see evidence of this at 8 wks?

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:You should. I got my polish at 5 weeks and it was already pretty evident.

5. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Fantastic![​IMG] Thanks to both of you![​IMG]

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    welcome! if you need reference pics just google "sexing polish crested" and a million pics pop up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by