Sex of saxony and other

Hball

Chirping
Jun 1, 2022
Kentucky
I thought I had all female until this past 2 weeks when I noticed the drake feather and the coloring of the saxonys head starting to get the blueish grey look. So far I had these 2 with 3 others that I know are female. One of them I traded. So now I have 5 females and the 2 that I am suspecting are male. The males are actually really calm compared to females and I’ve had the saxony since hatchling. My question is are the saxony and the brown one (not sure what breed it is) thinking it’s a golden 300 both males? With they be fine with 5 females or would I need to downsize to one male? I brought two runners and 1 Cayuga home today all around year old and the runner is bullying my other ducks so they are separated for the rest of the day and will be reintroduced tomorrow.

Also ignore the tote he’s in. We were doing foot soaks lol

Attachments

• CBA970AD-2B84-4EF0-ACD3-97E60BACDADF.jpeg
    CBA970AD-2B84-4EF0-ACD3-97E60BACDADF.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 8C0E0E6E-7251-4C53-8ECB-5F4D040490A5.jpeg
    8C0E0E6E-7251-4C53-8ECB-5F4D040490A5.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 27
  • B52F7C97-6194-443F-842A-9C4FD12917CC.jpeg
    B52F7C97-6194-443F-842A-9C4FD12917CC.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DD0CC832-38D6-4E64-BDA1-59568C540F90.jpeg
    DD0CC832-38D6-4E64-BDA1-59568C540F90.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 25
I thought I had all female until this past 2 weeks when I noticed the drake feather and the coloring of the saxonys head starting to get the blueish grey look. So far I had these 2 with 3 others that I know are female. One of them I traded. So now I have 5 females and the 2 that I am suspecting are male. The males are actually really calm compared to females and I’ve had the saxony since hatchling. My question is are the saxony and the brown one (not sure what breed it is) thinking it’s a golden 300 both males? With they be fine with 5 females or would I need to downsize to one male? I brought two runners and 1 Cayuga home today all around year old and the runner is bullying my other ducks so they are separated for the rest of the day and will be reintroduced tomorrow.

Also ignore the tote he’s in. We were doing foot soaks lol
I think both look like boys. The brown one looks like a khaki campbell to me.
The best way to sex them is by their quacks, only females quack properly, males make a raspy whispery type sound.

The ratio is 1 drake to 3-6 hens, so you would either need a couple more hens or to rehome one drake.
With introducing new ducks, this process should take at least a couple weeks. They need to be separated by a barrier, able to see but not touch each other. This is also a good opportunity to quarantine them and ensure they bring no nasties to your flock. They need at least a couple weeks separated until they can be safely introduced.

I suspect you are correct that the brown one is a golden 300. He looks alot like my former drake who was a Khaki x Appleyard cross. Yours is not a pure Khaki with those blue speculums. This was mine:
A0C4CA5C-A1E5-4325-9796-D9A542854E6B.jpeg

I tried to keep two drakes with four females. It was a bad idea! At first the boys fought. But, then they became friends and each had two girls. Unfortunately, they took to viciously raping each other’s girls. I got rid of the worst offender but the remaining duck kept up the behavior for the next two years. He spent more and more time in drake jail until I finally rehomed him. Based on that experience I would strongly recommend not keeping two drakes.

Nice tail curls. Perhaps one of the females got jealous and found a hair curler?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Yup, I would say those are drakes. What gender are the new ones? Lovely birds!
I was really hoping to have all females. The drakes are super chill though so far! The new ones are definitely females. So I have 5 females and 2 drakes…

I suspect you are correct that the brown one is a golden 300. He looks alot like my former drake who was a Khaki x Appleyard cross. Yours is not a pure Khaki with those blue speculums. This was mine:
View attachment 3232898

I tried to keep two drakes with four females. It was a bad idea! At first the boys fought. But, then they became friends and each had two girls. Unfortunately, they took to viciously raping each other’s girls. I got rid of the worst offender but the remaining duck kept up the behavior for the next two years. He spent more and more time in drake jail until I finally rehomed him. Based on that experience I would strongly recommend not keeping two drakes.
Oh no! So far they are the calmest out of all of them and hangout side by side. The only one that really tries to fight a little is the black Swedish female. What age and season do they start mating?

Back
Top Bottom