sex of the Blue slate babies

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scbatz33, Jun 14, 2009.

1. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Just wondering, I read my bourbon reds have a color difference in their feathering when they start to feather out. do the slate blues have the same? I have two with black splotches and one with out.....here are photos....
    no black bird...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one of the ones with black...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

I'm thinking the black spotted ones are boys, but the bump on the one in the photo is bigger than the other one, so I wasn't sure. Also, they are about a month old.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. BigByrd24

BigByrd24 Songster

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Hi Scbatz33,

I would say the no Spot one is a hen and the spotted one in pic is a Tom.
    But I don't know about the feathering thing. Sorry.

Tim

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    That was my guess too. I just could have sworn I saw somewhere where the coloring was a determining factor. Like with my bourbon red chick has white tips - ie I read that means it's a she vs. black tips on the males' feathers.

4. chseeads

chseeads Songster

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    From what I've read about the slate's color, the black spots is just part of the 'blue' coloration genetics in general, but nothing specific to male or female.

5. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    from the pics 1st one is a hen and the 2nd a tom. Still is a little early to tell for 100%.

6. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    Quote:You are exalty right that black is part of the blue gene. I saw that u r in bloomington. I live in washington. What kind of poultry do you raise chseeads?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  7. chseeads

chseeads Songster

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Quote:You are exalty right that black is part of the blue gene. I saw that u r in bloomington. I live in washington. What kind of poultry do you raise chseeads?

Over the years I've had all kinds of chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons and what have you.

I got out of the business and haven't raised anything for several years now, but I'm getting back into it again.

I have chickens, turkeys, and geese on order.

The geese come next week.

8. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I had a blue slate hen that had the black splotches....

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It very well could be that your spotted one is a male, but I agree with the other 2 posters. The way the 'blue' genetics works, you could possibly get 3 different colors from the same parent birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: