Sex of these chickens?

dockens

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
I ask because the white leghorn made what sounded like the beginnings of a crow today. I can't have roosters in the city (Mesa, AZ) so as soon as I can figure it out, I will have to fins a new home. Anyways, here are some photos, the first two are of the white leghorn, the next two are of my araucana, and the last two are of my cochin/RIR mix.

White leghorn
34280_img_1843.jpg

34280_img_1845.jpg

Araucana
34280_img_1846.jpg

34280_img_1847.jpg

Cochin/RIR mix
34280_img_1848.jpg

34280_img_1849.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Well, I suspected as much. I believe you, but I may hold out hope and wait until I hear a full crow!

I thought the combs on the leghorn pullets flop over.

I'm not sure, but looking around, I have seen photos of hens with floppy combs and some without.​

Welcome from Glendale, AZ.

At almost 9 weeks old, I think both the leghorn & 'araucana' are definitely roos. The cochin/RIR is still iffy - the wattles look like they're starting to grow a little early, but still could end up being a pullet. I don't know much about cochins and whether or not they mature early.

Here's a few pictures of my pullets when they were almost 8 weeks old, so you can see the diffence in combs & wattles.

Leghorns & RIR:
19548_white_leghorns.jpg

Easter eggers (that the feed stores sell as araucanas) - real araucanas are rumpless/tailless (these are also almost 8 weeks old)

19548_pippins_comb2.jpg

19548_chickens_015.jpg

Thanks for the welcome ArizonaDesertChicks.

It's looking more and more like I may need to find a home for this (these!) roosters. That would be quite a downer.

Back
Top Bottom