1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex of White Leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dhnoq, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SimplyLogan

SimplyLogan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    I would have to agree, 1 is a male and 2 is a female.

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I also agree, #1 is a cockerel and #2 is a pullet.

4. littleelf85

littleelf85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Sunderland uk
    Help I'm unsure if my chicks are ok they are lying down in the shavings they are not peeping and I'm worried they are two hot

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    @littleelf85

Are your chicks under a heat lamp? If they appear hot then most certainly raise the heat lamp to lower the brooder temperature. How old are your birds and what is the temperature in the brooder?

Chickens start out at 95F the first week and decrease by 5 degrees the older they get.
    In other words, a two week old chick should be kept at around 90 degrees, three week old chick should be kept at 85 degrees, four week old chick should be kept at 80 degrees and so on.
    However, this is simply a rule of thumb, your chicks will tell you if they are too hot or too cold (chicks bunched up together and hovering under heat lamp are likely cold, chicks that are trying to get away from heat lamp and are very spread out and/or panting and lifeless are definitely too hot.
    Comfortable chicks should be having a healthy balance of eating, drinking, walking around, sleeping, etc.)

Do your birds have fresh food and water as well?

A variety of things could contribute to your chicks acting this way.

However, I would suggest that you start a new thread in the "raising baby chicks" or "emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures" section of the forum, rather than on somebody else's thread.

Welcome to BYC and I hope your chicks pull through.

6. littleelf85

Mar 1, 2015
    Sunderland uk
    Thankyou they seem ok this morning up and around eating drinking they have fresh food and water all day long water is changed around four times a day and left in overnight and the food is there when ever they want it they also eat from my Hand they are comming up to three weeks however not certain on the age as I got them after hatch and I will start a new thread in raising baby chicks to keep me on track thankyou again

7. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Single comb leghorns are hard to tell. This ones a girl. Sister also had a huge comb early on. Look for the saddle feathers and sicled tail feathers a bit later.

8. littleelf85

Mar 1, 2015
    Sunderland uk
    I think in going to have to wait to see is I pion crows or not as I can't tell the difference

9. littleelf85

Mar 1, 2015
    Sunderland uk
    [​IMG] new.pics of my chicks I think I have one male and one female of my white leghorns (cream legbar also in picture)

10. meganootz

meganootz New Egg

Apr 14, 2015
    How old should the chicks be before you can see the difference in the feathers. I have 8 chicks right now, 4.5 weeks old and 6 of them have big red combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by