Sex one week old Pekin Ducling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by loubapache, Mar 11, 2011.

1. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    My local TSC has some one week old Pekin Ducklings. I wonder if there is any way to tell their gender by their size or color at this age.

Are the females a little smaller? Among the 20 or so ducklings, a few are noticeably larger than a few others. The store got them last Monday (one week ago).

Thanks,

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The only way I know is to vent-sex them. It's not that difficult to learn, but TSC probably won't want you to practice on their merchandise. I don't think there is much if any difference in their size or colors at this age. They grow fast, so the larger ones could just be a day or two older than the rest.

3. loubapache

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    Thanks. TSC won't sex them.

I seem to remember reading from somewhere about bill color on Pekin but cannot find the source. I watched the Metzer farm video again and he did not mention Pekins.

4. loubapache

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    I bought two of these one-week old ducklings. Hope at least one is a female. We lost a very intelligent female Pekin duck this winter and this is to replace her.
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    they sure are cuties!!

6. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Hoping there isn't a difference of beak color for pekins. I have two supposed to be females from metzer farms, and one has an orange beak, and one has a pink beak! [​IMG] Oh well... Now I'm kinda hoping one's a male, cause when I "Miss" an egg for 28 days, and a duckling hatches, my mom can't get mad at me! [​IMG]

7. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Do they have any tail feathers yet? males get a curl and females dont. I dont know at what age they get those particular feathers though.

8. loubapache

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    They are too young to have tail feathers.

Both are eating and drinking well. They are also making big mess.

9. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Mine have tail feathers. They start sprouting at about 3 weeks, but they're really tiny. Either way, the male wouldn't get the curl until about 4 months old.

10. Metzer Farms

Metzer Farms Official BYC Sponsor

Oct 11, 2010
    Beak color does not relate to sex. Once a duckling gets past 2-3 days, they are harder to vent sex as they are stronger and can resist you easier. By about 8 weeks you can sex by the curly feather on the tail (which designates a male) or by voice. Males develop a deep, raspy quack. Females develop the loud, typical QUACK. But if you are trying to do it strictly by tail feathers, remember that a duck without a curly feather is either a female....... or a male that lost his curly feather! Enjoy!
    John Metzer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by