Sex one week old Pekin Ducling

loubapache

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Michigan
My local TSC has some one week old Pekin Ducklings. I wonder if there is any way to tell their gender by their size or color at this age.

Are the females a little smaller? Among the 20 or so ducklings, a few are noticeably larger than a few others. The store got them last Monday (one week ago).

Thanks,

The only way I know is to vent-sex them. It's not that difficult to learn, but TSC probably won't want you to practice on their merchandise. I don't think there is much if any difference in their size or colors at this age. They grow fast, so the larger ones could just be a day or two older than the rest.

Thanks. TSC won't sex them.

I seem to remember reading from somewhere about bill color on Pekin but cannot find the source. I watched the Metzer farm video again and he did not mention Pekins.

I bought two of these one-week old ducklings. Hope at least one is a female. We lost a very intelligent female Pekin duck this winter and this is to replace her.
55498_2011_duckling_small.jpg

Quote:
Hoping there isn't a difference of beak color for pekins. I have two supposed to be females from metzer farms, and one has an orange beak, and one has a pink beak!
lol.png
Oh well... Now I'm kinda hoping one's a male, cause when I "Miss" an egg for 28 days, and a duckling hatches, my mom can't get mad at me!
tongue.png

Quote:
Mine have tail feathers. They start sprouting at about 3 weeks, but they're really tiny. Either way, the male wouldn't get the curl until about 4 months old.

Beak color does not relate to sex. Once a duckling gets past 2-3 days, they are harder to vent sex as they are stronger and can resist you easier. By about 8 weeks you can sex by the curly feather on the tail (which designates a male) or by voice. Males develop a deep, raspy quack. Females develop the loud, typical QUACK. But if you are trying to do it strictly by tail feathers, remember that a duck without a curly feather is either a female....... or a male that lost his curly feather! Enjoy!
John Metzer

Back
Top Bottom