Sex Or Breed (barred Rock, Rir, Or Sexlink)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Sorry the uploads and this old post's content have been removed to make room in my uploads page (wouldn't make since without pictures huh?) The chicks have been re-homed and are very happy thank you to all who answered this thread.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lots of BR pullets to my eye.

Within a couple weeks, as they feather out, the difference between a pullet and roo BR is obvious. The pullets are dark, the roos greyish with bold white bars.
    Seeing them side by side. A picture is sometimes worth a 1000 words.
    The Red is a production red of some kind. Hatchery orange bird, quite likely.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. chickenlizzy

chickenlizzy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    The dark chicks look just like our Barred Rocks. The other i'm not sure but probably RIR. Can't help you on the sex though.

4. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    The red ones are not golden comets, I can say that for sure-I have 10 of them:) As for the others, they look like BRs..

5. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, BR's not only start to show the secondary sex characteristics but a difference in feather color. If you know the red birds are GC or RiR, they are the second for sure. As they grow they will lose the varied coloration and become a solid dark red, if not post another pic for identification.

6. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I can't really help with the breeds, but I have to say chicks 7 & 8 have a roo look.
    As for the others, the pics aren't focused enough to tell.

7. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:yea sorry about that...they don't like being held in a hand...I try not to handle them too much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by