Sex question...*UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kburen, Dec 8, 2010.

1. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    From what I've read on here, 4 weeks is way too early to tell the sex of EEs, but I have a question. Of my 5 EE babies, one of them has a comb that is at least double the size of the other 4 and is starting to get little nubbs on the inside of its legs. Could this be the breeds that it's mixed with that the comb is growing so much more quickly than the rest, or are chances that it's a roo? With my luck, there's no way I managed to get 4 pullets and 1 roo out of the 5! LOL Not that I'd be upset if that were the case, the original intention was for that. :) My favorite baby is the one in question and the one who seems to deal best with being held (my fiance held it and put it to sleep in his hands when it was about 2 weeks old)...I can post pictures another time, but for now it's just a question on opinions....So, what do ya'll experts think? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    More likely than not, at that age, it is probably a roo. However, just because one doesn't have such a big comb....doesn't mean it is a pullet. Lots of boys are kind of "late-bloomers".

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:I agree!!!!!!

4. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:Yeah I agree. It probably is a roo but there could definitely be more. EE are hard to tell

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    EEs are sooo difficult to sex. I had one that had not only me, but a few people on BYC guessing for two months! We finally decided on "she". Can't wait to see the pics. [​IMG]

6. kburen

May 19, 2008
    Here's a picture of "him" at about....a little over 3 weeks when the comb SHOT up. It's bigger than this now, and the others are only barely noticable. It's not a very clear picture...taken with a cell. I'll get better ones this weekend and post of all of them...Just cause I love to show them off :-D

[​IMG]

7. kburen

May 19, 2008
    Chick in question....Is DEFINATELY a roo! We had him out today playing with him. My Fiance's dad pulled up some utube videos to see what the chicks reaction would be to "big chicken voices" and he tried to crow twice in return [​IMG]

8. kburen

May 19, 2008
    [​IMG] 4.5 weeks

9. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    DEFINATELY a roo

10. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010