Sex these 4 week SLW?

LAFreewayChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
San Diego (goodbye LA)
I have two 4 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte from a hatchery which seem a bit too red in the combs to be girls. (They were sold as pullets, not straight run).

A third (not pictured) has a single comb which is still yellow. I am hoping someone will tell me that the rose combs just pink up sooner, but I'm not real optimistic.

(Note: click on photos for larger versions)

Suspect number 1: The mostly likely roo. Note also the lack of true feathers down the center of the back.

Suspect number 2:

Last edited:
4 weeks is really young to tell.....where did you get them from? I hear chicken sexing is pretty difficult...it is hard to say 100% even with an experienced sexer....but unless the breed is a sex-link it is hard to say on just colors and feathers alone...Also, are you sure they are rose-comb? My SLW is a single comb....unless the breeder you got them from can assure it's a rose comb from the parents, it's a little young to tell that either from just looks I think....but I'm no expert....redness of combs I has nothing to do with it.....correct me if I'm wrong but never have I read that redness is a determintation of gender....I hope someone chimes in who can better help, but I'm pretty sure it's a waiting game until someone starts to crow....

I would guess both are girls... at this stage anyway.. Based on my own experience with their red combs early on.

My SLW feathered in SOOOOOooo slowly...

But they pinked up really early!

Last edited:
heres my guesses:
#1 = roo
#2 = pullet

At this point I would say the same, but those wattles on #2 make me doubtful. Guess we'll wait and see
roll.png

2 one is a pullet! I think 1 is a roo, But its not a very good pic could you get one from the side?

Nice birds by the way!
thumbsup.gif

Why is it that everyone is guessing #1 is a boy? Is it the slow feathering? It doesn't have any more of a red comb than #2
That's what I thought too...I thought it was pretty much impossible to tell unless they were sexed as chicks and even then not 100%...

Back
Top Bottom