Sex these 6 week olds? Goldlace Wyandotte, Silverlace Wyandotte, Black Jersey Giant

Kagen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Gender?
Got these 3 "pullets" as a surprise gift from someone (we have six 1-year old hens, and 12 baby chicks now, thats my experience so want help sexing as have to give cockerals to my brother as I'm in 1/5 acre city lots with noise ordinances.) Got them when 2 weeks old (although they looked big and feathered to me.)
Goldlace Wyandotte?
Silverlace Wyandotte?
Black Jersey Giant?

Of note, any comments on the hook bill one? She eats/drinks fine for now, as they will get unlimited feed as long as she can still eat fine I was gonna let "her" grow.

Silverlace Wyandotte?
Black Jersey Giant?

THANKS!!!

jamie7100

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I think you are right on the breeds. The White/black ones are silver laced wyandottes, and the gold/black ones are gold laced wyandottes. They look like pullets to me - how old are they?

annav410

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Broomfield, Colorado
I think you are correct about the breeds and they all look like girls to me. GLW and SLW can be tricky to sex and I am having some doubts about my GLW, so I am waiting for her to either lay an egg or start crowing! The Jersey Giant should have yellow on the bottom of the feet and if they are pale/pinkish then you may have an Australorp. With that being said, if yours are hatchery girls they are likely not to match breed standard.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Kagen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
supposedly exactly 6 weeks in the photos. Other then comb and wattles what do you look for on Wyandottes and Jerseys?

jamie7100

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Now that does change things. At six weeks, there should be little to no red on those combs. Also I would expect them to not have wattles yet either. I think your gold laced wyandotte is a roo with those bright red wattles. I think the black one is a pullet for sure, but I'm on the fence with the Silver laced. It does have some red there, but not as pronounced as the GLW.

Kagen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
15 weeks and combs and wattles aren't any bigger or redder really, no feather markings that are male, no crowing, very pullet like.

Kagen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
The cross beak drinks water fine and eats pellet fine and as these birds get unlimited pellet I think this might work out ok. Her weight is good, a little lighter than the gold but not too bad. If she had to depend on foraging for a large percentage of intake she might not do OK. I''ve done no intervention (trim etc.) The cross is now a hook. I keep a close eye, if this changes to be a problem I'll have to do something as I want to catch it before she is malnourished - but would love if she just continues to eat pellet fine and do OK on her own.

Top Bottom