Sex these ducks for me

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eringm, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Eringm

Eringm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    So I'll be purchasing 2 Muscovy ducks on the weekend and I was just wondering if someone could sex them for me, seller didn't say wether they're male or female

2. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Someone probably can, depending on their age and if you can get good pictures. Males are longer with bigger feet, females are smaller and more petite, even at a young age. Males huff around once mature, females chirp or occasionally honk, but anyway, PICTURES are the best way to know.

3. Eringm

Aug 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eringm

Aug 20, 2016
    Need a reply fast as I'm picking them up tomorrow

5. rachelsflock

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    I see two drakes, but not 100% on that. More like 80% sure they're both male. They're already carnuckling and their bodies are both long.

6. rachelsflock

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Male juvenile cow spotted on the left the two females (one brown, nearly invisible, black bibbed below on right).
    [​IMG]

Male right, female left, good body size and length comparison. These were from the same hatch.
    [​IMG]

Muscovy female in a fight with a rooster. See how little she is? (although the rooster is large)
    [​IMG]

If you notice, the females also have smaller by proportion feet, even when young.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. rachelsflock

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Btw, the black and white in your picture is DEFINITELY male. The white one is the one in question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by