Sex these Easter Eggers... Round 2!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by adventureben, Dec 3, 2010.

1. adventureben

adventureben Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I posted a few weeks ago (below) about my 2 new chicks, which are apparently EE's after a lenghty discussion on this site. They are now 8-9 weeks old and I'd love some additional input about their gender. One has a plume-like tale that males me think rooster (chick a), and the comb on the other is looking big and pink which also makes me think rooster (chick b). But I'm very new at this, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. They both started chipmunk colored and have turned black/white since their last molt. All opinions are appreciated! Here are some pictures to help you decide:

chick a- frontside
    [​IMG]

chick a - rearside
    [​IMG]

chick b - back profile
    [​IMG]

chick b - front profile
    [​IMG]

both chicks (a front left, b back right) - front profile
    [​IMG]

both chicks (a on right, b on left) rear side
    [​IMG]

both chicks (a back right, b front left) - above (sorta)
    [​IMG]

This was my original post from last month

I got these auracana chicks from a local breeder. I was told they were both girls because they had smallest combs. They are currently about 4 weeks old and I've started to notice that one is slightly darker than the other. I've read on this site that in some breeds the females are darker. Then today I noticed the the lighter one had grown a plume of feathers on his/her rump (seemingly overnight). I'm begining to suspect that it's a rooster... but I'd greatly appreciate some other opinions considering this is our first flock.

They're quite quick... so I wasn't able to get a good picture. If they become more photogenic later on I will try and post more.

This picture shows the color difference (rooster on the right?)
    [​IMG]

Here you can kinda see the tail feathers (roo on the left?)
    [​IMG]

a bird's eye view (roo on the left)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm gonna say sorry twice - One, that all your pictured EE's are boys. Two, that your "Araucanas" are Easter Eggers. Araucanas don't have muffs or beards, neither should they have tails. Unless I'm seeing wrong, I see muffs on one of them and a tail on both (one just hasn't feathered out yet)

As for gender, they're too young to tell, but the one on the right top looks like a silver duckwing female.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Chick A is a pullet, and Chick B is a cockerel. I agree with them being EE's as well

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:ditto

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Chick a could possibly be a girl, but I really doubt it, I have gotten a pullet that had extra length in her tail and it curved just a little like a roosters does when growing so I really can't be positive on that one.
    Chick b most likely is a boy that either has had taile feathers pulled out or is possibly molting and hasn't gotten his tail feathers back as of yet.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, both are boys. Chick A is NOT a pullet, you can see the brown coming in on the wings - which is rooster coloring.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Both Roosters

8. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    LOL, so many different answers! My inexperienced eye says B is male, A is female. I found that the one that ended up as a rooster had the reddest comb, and was the one that didn't want to be left out when i was presenting scraps, he came running the fastest. At 3.5 months of still thinking he was a girl, he crowed his first warbly crow....it was too funny! She is now Elvis, because of her perfect DA "hairstyle:

[​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My "experienced" eye says, both are roos.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I see 2 Roosters..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by