Sex these please

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I did post here a while back now but did not get a good response as these are ixworth chicks and no one in america has seen them before as they are an english breed. They are supposed to have a rose comb from what i have read, they are nearly 11 weeks old. Both look identical except for 1 is slightly bigger than the other.
Best pictures i could get as they normally run from me when i go near them, any idea what sex they might be?
pic 1 is of both together, pic 2 is chick 1, pic 3 & 4 is chick 2
103951_img_0929.jpg

103951_img_0950.jpg

103951_img_0951.jpg

103951_img_0952.jpg

Last edited:
At 11 weeks they both look like pullets--BUT if you had full side body shots so we can see head to toe-that would be better and more accurate:)

The 1 at the bottom of the 1st pic is the same chick as in picture 2. I originally thought the chick in pic 3&4 was a roo as it was much bigger but as the weeks have passed they have almost caught up in size and their combs and wattles have not really grown at all so i am thinking both pullets for now.

I am really no expert on sexing chicks but i am thinking that by 11 weeks their wattles and comb would be bigger and more red. Am i right?

The Ixworth was produced during the 1930s in the village of Ixworth in Suffolk, England. The originator was Reginald Appleyard who set out to make a breed which was a first class, quick maturing table breed which could also give worthwhile egg production. In the mix of ancestors for the new breed Appleyard used White Old English Game, Indian (Cornish) Game, White Sussex, White Orpington and White Minorca. The eventual breed fulfilled all the requirements, including the fine white skin necessary for the English table market.

Ixworths are quite deceptive to look at, being a great deal heavier and more solid than they appear. They are active hardy birds which do well on free range. There is only the one variety, White, which has pinkish white legs and beak with all white plumage. The comb is always of pea type and the eyes are orange to red in colour.

The breed very nearly died out in the period 1950-1970, but one or two people stuck with them. There is now a rather bigger following for the breed and several keen breeders, but the breed is still very much a rare breed. They have been kept here at Cobthorn for most of the last 30 years and are the breed of first choice when I want a roasting chicken for the table. They are simply our best table breed.

Thank you farmdude, i have come across that post or 1 like it before, i can not find any thing on how to sex them which is what i would like to know.

Quote:
My bad. I agree that they are both pullets, but one is kinda iffy. Where did you find these rare birds and what are you hoping they'll be?

Back
Top Bottom