Sex These Splash Orps & Barred EE Chicks(newer pics in post #50)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Sep 2, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Three Orps...2 splash, 1 blue....approaching 7 weeks old
    Three BR/Ameraucana....2 blue, 1 black...almost 9 weeks old

Verdict on the sex of these chicks, please. I have my conclusions, but I may have missed something so see what you think. If the pic is too large, refresh your screen and it should reduce.

#1 splash Orpington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 splash Orpington (very bluish cast to this one)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 blue Orpington
    [​IMG]

Blue Barred EE's, 9 Wks...#1 Blue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue Barred EE, #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Barred EE...no question, cockerel. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Both EE's are boys.

3. speckledhen

I go back and forth on those. Since the BR pullets I have raised here have recently been turning red early on(9 weeks) thought maybe these two blue EEs, who have the same sire as my purebred BRs, may be following suit. The first one has a pullet-y comb shape and both blues have a more "hen-ish" body type and tail, compared to their brother in the last picture. I know the second EE has a more male shape to the comb, but I am still pretty confused about those two.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm not good at sexing this early, but I never can resist a thread of yours.

Right now I am flummoxed and green with envy that DH is wearing a flannel shirt! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. speckledhen

I'm thrilled about the slightly cooler weather! For once, it didn't rain for a day or so. Was a gorgeous day. The slightly overcast afternoon was great for shooting pics, but most of the day was sunny.

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Okay, I'm going waaaaay out on a roost here.... since I rarely get it right at this age!

But just for fun:

#1 Splash Orp. - Cockeral
    #2 Splash Orp. - Cockeral
    #3 Blue Orp. - Pullet

Blue BR EE #1 - Pullet
    Blue BR EE #2 - Pullet

If I'm right, well [​IMG] .
    If I'm wrong, well [​IMG] !
    If I'm even in the ballpark, well [​IMG] !

7. speckledhen

Wonder if someone else would like to join you on your limb? (tell them not to bring a saw, LOL).

I've never been one to hold to the tail as a sexing trait on most birds because pullets can have those long feathers that molt out as they approach maturity. However, with some of the Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers I've raised, seems like most pullets' tails are more thick and fan like, while the cockerels' tail feathers are longer with a narrow profile to the tail when viewed from overhead. If you notice, both blues have similar tail forms while the black EE has a more elongated tail. It may not always hold true, but I've seen that more and more. Has anyone else noticed this? Being a crossbreed, naturally, that may skew the reliability of any sexing trait.

8. NJ Ranch

NJ Ranch New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Zanesville, ohio
    Hey.. i am new to BYC and i have a question. what does EE stand for?
    Thanks,
    Nathan

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Easter Egger

10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Actually, I was going by legs and posture, as well as those things only I can "see". [​IMG]
    Since I am the Roo Magnet, you may well want to take the opposite side of me!

[​IMG]

And I usually carry my own saw. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by