sex these turkeys

foxcove4

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
WNC
aug08018.jpg

aug08020.jpg

I think #1 is a tom and #2 is a hen, but these are my first turkeys and I don't know my snood from my elbow

Number 2 looks like she is definitley a hen. I can not see number 1 on my computer very well. The toms depending on the breed are usually more iridescent . How old are they? Mine usually start displaying very young and those are the toms. I have even had a 1and a half week old turkey display.

How old are they? They look like girls to me. My toms started to grow a big snood and develop cruanicles (spelled totally wrong, but the red bumpy things) at like 2-3 months old.

I'm not sure exactly how old they are, I've had them about a month. They are at least 3 months, if not older

At first glance, I thought a boy and a girl. Watch for the "boy" to extend his snood and that will help to confirm - he should let it hang down lower when he is calm and tighten it to his head when he is nervous. Also, loud sudden noises usually make them want to gobble. Only boys can gobble - girls do a putt putt putt sound. Try clapping your hands or making a crow sound - it always works for my young jakes.

Jody

I haven't seen the snoods on either do anything, nor have I heard any gobbling. I have an adult burboun red tom that gobbles all day and they never gobble back. I have seen them both strut briefly, but I understand hens will do that sometimes

Back
Top Bottom