sex these turkeys

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by foxcove4, Aug 19, 2008.

1. foxcove4

foxcove4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    WNC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think #1 is a tom and #2 is a hen, but these are my first turkeys and I don't know my snood from my elbow

2. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    how old are they? they both look kinda hennish to me

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the snood keeps growing its a tom.

They look girly to me.

4. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    i think theyre both lady turkeys [​IMG]

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Number 2 looks like she is definitley a hen. I can not see number 1 on my computer very well. The toms depending on the breed are usually more iridescent . How old are they? Mine usually start displaying very young and those are the toms. I have even had a 1and a half week old turkey display.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How old are they? They look like girls to me. My toms started to grow a big snood and develop cruanicles (spelled totally wrong, but the red bumpy things) at like 2-3 months old.

7. foxcove4

Jul 2, 2008
    WNC
    I'm not sure exactly how old they are, I've had them about a month. They are at least 3 months, if not older

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    At first glance, I thought a boy and a girl. Watch for the "boy" to extend his snood and that will help to confirm - he should let it hang down lower when he is calm and tighten it to his head when he is nervous. Also, loud sudden noises usually make them want to gobble. Only boys can gobble - girls do a putt putt putt sound. Try clapping your hands or making a crow sound - it always works for my young jakes.

Jody

9. foxcove4

Jul 2, 2008
    WNC
    I haven't seen the snoods on either do anything, nor have I heard any gobbling. I have an adult burboun red tom that gobbles all day and they never gobble back. I have seen them both strut briefly, but I understand hens will do that sometimes

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The first looks like a Tom and the second one looks like a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by