1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex This Delawegger For Me ~UPDATED Pic, Post #11 of the Handsome Guy~

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Apr 14, 2012.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Okay, it's only 3 weeks old, a very narrow single-ridge-looking pea comb, but of all the Delaweggers I've grown out, none have had this much color on them unless they were males, and most of those don't even have this much color. The comb threw me, being very girly, but what do you experienced folks think who know the male coloring on the EEs?

Almost every Del/EE or Del/Ameraucana cross has been plain black and white and the males with a single red tail feather later on. You can see all the wheaten/brown of the mother in this kiddo and I do believe I'm seeing some pink in that comb, girly shaped or not. I'm rather hoping it's a male, to tell the truth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mama, Maretta, who is 1/2 BW Ameraucana, I think:
    [​IMG]

Dad is my Isaac, who most of you know.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    He looks like a cockerel to me, his comb look too pink at 3 weeks to be a pullet.

3. speckledhen

That's what I was thinking, too, plus, the legs suddenly looked pretty thick as well.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Oh and btw your hen is GORGEOUS! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Thank you! She was hatched from eggs I got from halo. Maretta is a super sweet and friendly girl. We just love her.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Gonna hide under a chair [​IMG] and ask. . . . Who's Isaac? Color so far says girl unless that's blue and not black I see. If that's blue I vote boy.

7. speckledhen

Hahaha, you mean you don't know Isaac??? J/K! He's my Delaware rooster in this picture below. The color appears black to me, Illia. I see wheaten/brown in the wings and I see black in the saddle area. Thanks for popping in! I appreciate it.
    [​IMG]

Here was Isaac's last son with a hen who looks extremely similar to Maretta--you can see that he was quite different than this one I'm trying to sex right now. This is a 4 week old picture. Most of them look like the one below, not the one who is the subject of this thread:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah I later after posting saw the thread title was Delawegger and figured it was your Delaware boy, just didn't know his name was Isaac.

I'm gonna guess blue cockerel, for now.

9. speckledhen

Well, I do appreciate your input, Illia. You seem to be pretty good at sexing the EE types. Crossing fingers that we do have a male here. I don't usually say that, but I think Ike needs some help with his huge harem right now. He accepted a pea combed son into the flock once and I hope he'll do it again. It would be so cool if he was blue rather than black in those areas, too! I'd really love that!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. speckledhen

I took some new pics just now. Yup, I think you are right. He'll be 4 weeks Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by