1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sex this scovie.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by estaswick, Aug 8, 2013.

1. estaswick

estaswick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    [​IMG]

I assumed the small one in the back was a duck. But no eggs yet. Then after molting I began to notice what looks like a crest. The larger one has mounted the smaller a couple times but his other 2 ladies have been sitting...did I get two drakes?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In my opinion, it looks like you have one drake, and one duck. Though the fact that "she" isn't laying eggs is odd. How old are they?

3. BladeDuck

BladeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Scovies are also very good at hiding eggs! I don't know what your pen set-up is or if they are roaming but just want to make sure you looked really well :)

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    A drake and a duck there... i have a similar pair

[​IMG]

As for eggs, yes they do hide eggs! as well some females lay later than others. What is the aging?

5. estaswick

estaswick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    No clue on the age. Suspect she may have been hatched this spring. He is definitely older. Guess we will wait and see if she lays.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If hatched in the spring of this year, most likely no eggs till next year, that's the way it's always been here anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by