1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex & Type #3 Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magsrags, Mar 9, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    #3 has another mix in there as he has some feathers on his legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be a girl. I think these are mostly EEs, magrag.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Mixed color easter egger, I am undecided on the sex of this one, but leaning towards pullet.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    EEs are supposed to have green legs...

5. Solsken Farm

Quote:Not always. There is no standard for EEs. Just that they are a mix of Ameraucana or Araucana and another type of bird.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    according to www.eastereggers.com

some are too dilute to be considered even EEs...

but you are right, other leg colors are acceptable. My mistake.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    "Leg Color: Green is typical but other colors include, willow, slate, yellow."

Taken right from the site you posted.

8. Solsken Farm

Quote:LOL that site is interesting. I have been there before. There is just no way to standardize mutt chickens. That being said, I am a huge fan of Easter Eggers and enjoy the surprises they create.

9. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Thanks!
    Is this the reason for all the leg colors? Or is that because other birds are mixed in someplace along the line? I'd been told they were Araucana/Ameraucana with the 1 feathered leg a real mix. Hmmmm...............I am beginning to better understand thanks to you all lending me a hand.

10. Solsken Farm

There are tons of folks confused on this subject, Mags, because the hatcheries sell these birds as Ameruacana, Americana, Araucana. So the person you got them from might not realize they aren't.

Do a search and you will find lots of info. There is a nice informative thread on the Breeds section about the differences between EEs, Ameraucana and Araucana.

So the thing is, they are a mixture of Ameraucana, which has 8 recognized colors and lays a nice blue egg. The green legs must be a cross between the slate legs of the Ameraucana and some of the yellow legs of some standard breeds. But I had an EE roo with yellow legs.

I understand why there is confusion. If the hatcheries would officially change the name of their mutts to Easter Eggers, it would help clear things up.

Good luck with your chooks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by