Sex?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AugeredIn, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Anyone want to expand my knowledge on sexing green birds? What do I need to have a picture of besides these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    First the bird needs to be in the sun light and not in the dark. That would help alot.

3. Yeah these pictures did not turn out well.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    oooh! Pretty :)

5. Here is a little better picture. It is the one in front. I will get better pictures this weekend.

[​IMG]

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Oooh you got greens! Are they a little flighty? Who did you get them from? Sorry for all the questions.[​IMG]

Well I don't have experience first hand with greens, but so far I think this site down below has good examples about how to sex green peachicks and adults. Here is the website:
    http://www.galliform.es/home/information/green-peacock-or-peahen

7. I only have the one left. They were bad off when I got them at auction. One died. This one has recovered nicely. I have seen that webpage, but I just cannot make the call.

Supposedly these came from parents that were purchased from our friends in DeFuniak Springs. There is no telling what they really are. There are supposedly going to be some adult Java sold at auction Thursday night. They are supposed to be banded. We will see. There is no way I could ever know that they are really greens unless I could trace a band. I don't mind though. I am not going into business. Just having fun.

I am taking some better pictures on Friday.

8. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Just because they are banded don't mean they are Javas, Plus breeders don't sell so called Pure Javas at auctions unless there's something wrong with them. Myself would have a HARD time buying Muticus type birds at auctions. Now if your just having fun and don't care what you get then I would say go for it.

Do you know the folks in DeFuniak Springs?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. Quote:Your right, I have no idea what they are unless I can match wing bands to the original breeder. However, for $22.50 I have no problem with them whatever they are. And to give you an idea of how these auctions go around here, a pair of yearling white peafowl went for $150.00 while a pair of green birds (who knows what they really are, but they were pretty) at least 3 to 4 years old went for $68.00. Go figure. These auction birds will be yard birds.

Yes, I know the folks in DeFuniak Springs. Their facilities are fantastic and their animals are fantastic. My first visit there I expected to get a very quick tour of the place with limited access. They spent two hours with me and my daughter and we saw everything. I felt bad about how much of their time we took. The prices were not as you would be lead to believe from comments made here, although I cannot speak for the past. For the past six months we have been contemplating what I would consider a substantial purchase to fill the three pens in my other thread. I have talked to all the big breeders about stock and availability as well as enclosures. You can see the enclosures I am building are fairly identical to some of the breeders. I actually did not know we were 20 minutes away from such a large breeder. One of the large well known breeders actually referred me to the folks in DeFuniak to one see enclosures and two they knew they had the animals we wanted and could see them in person.

I think MinxFox would share a similar experience.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I still need to visit them again since they have changed so much. I went there years ago but I remember seeing lots and lots of animals, but I don't remember everything so I definitely need to re-visit. When I went they had just imported some greens and we got to see them in a quarantine pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by