1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexable Faverolles?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Are Salmon Faverolles sexable at hatching? I had four hatch out yesterday with more talking & pipping now...but I have two VERY yellow babies & two that are yellow with bluish-dark on their backs...are those males?

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I have two male and three female and at two weeks I can tell the sexes...One of the females I could tell as soon as they arrived. Was supposed to get only one male but MMM threw in an extra for free.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

So are the females the all yellows & the males the ones with the colors on their backs?

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    When they start getting wing feather you can do a fairly accurate sexing job although my two hens tricked me by getting a few dark feather first ! Males should have black and brown feather and females should be light tan w/ only a few dark wing feathers. These are my favorite breed! Maybe you got some blue salmon's that hatched also are maybe some sport.

Henry

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    OH AND POST PICS [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, I'll see what I can do about pics. It's just a huge chore to get pics because we have no internet at home. So I have download all of my pics to our computer, then burn them all to a CD and then take them to work & upload them onto photobucket. Blah. LOL

I'm hoping not--these are supposed to be just plain ol' Faverolles. I saw pics of the parent birds & they didn't look blue or off-colored....

7. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    All of my faverolles hatched out all yellow. Now that they are 2 weeks, I can finally tell the males and females apart. I really couldn't tell before then.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  9. Rare Feathers Farm

Yes, they sure are cute! Thanks for the link--guess I'll have to wait another few days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by