sexed bantam chicks from my pet chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FromChictoChick, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I paid a premium for sexed assorted (including silkies) bantams from mypetchicken.com

How do they sex day old where others can't/won't? Have you ordered sexed from them, were they accurate?

Thanks!

2. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    I think any professional sexer *can* sex a bantam if they really wanted to, it is just both very stressful on the chicks (since some bantams are as much as half the size of a normal chick) and much more tedious and time-consuming than with standard chicks. My guess is that most hatchries simply aren't willing to do it since it isn't cost effective and is probably a little more risky for the tiny babies, health and injury-wise. But since mypetchicken specializes in selling very small numbers of "custom" chicks it makes sense they'd charge a premium for it. I was sorely tempted to buy from them but wound up just buying straight run elsewhere--so much cheaper and I know I can give away the males!

3. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    Yesterday they ran a limited special of 15 sexed female bantams for $99 shipped so I'm giving it a try

I'll let you know

Interested in any other experiences

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by