Sexed chicks? & red sex link compatibility

BrandonMcfly

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
California
Hello I have to red sex link girls & i was thinking of adding a 3rd girl so I was wondering are there any type of other breed that can be easily sexed when chicks ? Also what kind of breeds of chicken would get along with the red sex links I have read people say they are an aggressive breed although I can't say, mine are such sweeties. One is super shy the other is adventurous they never fight each other, only run to each other then fly away quick they like to be together always if they're separate for even a sec one cries they are about 5-7 months old. They also love being pet & cuddling. Thank you for answers in advanced :) I really want two Silkies but they're hard to find especially girls. & people say they don't get along cause silkies are more calm although I'd keep them separately.

Sex linked hybrids and auto sexing breeds (such as the Welsummer and Cream Legbar) can be sexed at hatch. Not sure what breeds would go well with your two though, but they sound lovely! I’ve had silkies with production hybrids and had no issues, mine just floated at the bottom of the pecking order, maybe a Welsummer would do well with your girls?

Sex linked hybrids and auto sexing breeds (such as the Welsummer and Cream Legbar) can be sexed at hatch. Not sure what breeds would go well with your two though, but they sound lovely! I’ve had silkies with production hybrids and had no issues, mine just floated at the bottom of the pecking order, maybe a Welsummer would do well with your girls?
Thank you :) maybe a silkie would do ok with them they are just so hard to get maybe I'll look into a welsummer :)

Thank you :) maybe a silkie would do ok with them they are just so hard to get maybe I'll look into a welsummer :)

Welcome. I personally love Welsummer more than silkies, my Welsummers have been well tempered and friendly, they’re average layers too. Good luck with your decisions, I’d wind up getting both haha

Welcome. I personally love Welsummer more than silkies, my Welsummers have been well tempered and friendly, they’re average layers too. Good luck with your decisions, I’d wind up getting both haha
That's sounds so nice I might end up getting both also I wanted two more anyway why not right :) thanks!:D

How big is your coop and run? It's hard to integrate a single new bird, and if you are integrating any at all, you need more than the minimum recommended 4 s.f. of open space in coop/10 s.f. in run per bird, IMO.

I assume that you will be buying your chick(s) from a feed store or hatchery? If so, simply choose a chick from the pullet bin instead of straight run.

Check Henderson's chicken breed's chart to find some good options. If you've been pleased with sex links, then, any of the many choices would work for you. (Black sex link, Cinnamon Queen, Amber link.... ) There are lots of production birds, with many hatcheries coining their own names for them.

How big is your coop and run? It's hard to integrate a single new bird, and if you are integrating any at all, you need more than the minimum recommended 4 s.f. of open space in coop/10 s.f. in run per bird, IMO.

I assume that you will be buying your chick(s) from a feed store or hatchery? If so, simply choose a chick from the pullet bin instead of straight run.

Check Henderson's chicken breed's chart to find some good options. If you've been pleased with sex links, then, any of the many choices would work for you. (Black sex link, Cinnamon Queen, Amber link.... ) There are lots of production birds, with many hatcheries coining their own names for them.
They're outside everything is for them so they got enough space & they come inside at night & their coop is really big for two but if I get two more I will get a bigger space for them as well :) & i want only one but I am not opposed to getting two new ones as long as they are girls my area doesn't allow roosters even tho I'd love one & yes I would get them from the feed store but I wouldn't be opposed to rehomed chickens in Cali either & thank you I will look that up right now :)

Back
Top Bottom