Sexed Muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickathon, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I am interested in getting some muscovy ducks this spring. But want to get the right ratio of ducks to drakes. Does anyone know of a hatchery that sexes the muscovies? All of the ones I have found sexes every other breed but the muscovy. Why is that? Is there that much difference? Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I believe Muscovies are more fragile as ducklings then most mallard derived breeds. How many are you wanting? Even the very few hatcheries that do sell them seem to have a large minimum order.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've also heard that they are more fragile with shipping and sexing. They need to eat/drink sooner than mallard derived breeds. Unless you are set on getting day olds, you can usually tell by about 3 weeks old just by size. That would require you to find someone local though.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They can be vent sexed, you just have to be careful when doing so. We sex our ducklings as we sort them into male and female brooders at hatch. Its mostly for our own use since we prefer to grow the boys out for processing, sorting early lets us know how many we have to plan for down the road and for sale now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by