Sexed using a string and weight above head

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jklyles1, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    We got 5 new chicks from a small farm and the owner sexed them using a string..ive heard of this but thought it was an old wives tale but he says he has been 100% accurate this year.

what do yall think??!!!

This is a 2-4 week old Welsummer (he says PULLET)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Sure, that could be a pullet [​IMG]

3. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Like there's a 50% chance right?? LOL!

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    it's also a nifty trick to play on people when the chicks are ALREADY sexed at hatchery.. or bred in a certain way(sex linked mating) and with some breeds/colors it's possible to make decent guesses on sex at hatch(like eye stripe size on some colors).

If that bird was bought recently.. meaning it was already this old when you got it- it's already well past sexable age. Welsumer boys are colored very different at this age- much blacker chest with red on necks already.

and exactly right about methods like he did having a 50% success rate....

just remember *hatcheries* use sex linked matings or vent sexing. They depend on very accurate results. Strings, holding up by the neck etc etc etc don't cut it.

5. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks Kev! He also sexed a dominique, and 2 sebrights with the string method. They were under 1 week old...i guess we will wait and see!!!

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Lol! I only have one Welsummer, she's a great girl. But, I remember her not looking at all the way she does now as she was feathering in. I look at them when they're 4-7 weeks or so and think they look like a girl, but then their reddish necks make me question. But, I do think yours is a pullet.

7. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    I looks like a male to me, there is supposedly a way by the markings by their eyes .

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

dominiques are another one you don't really need a string or nuttin'. barring has a dose effect and is sex linked. meaning there's a visual difference between birds with one or two copies of the gene- those with two copies are lighter with bigger head spot and can have white on back too, with one they are blacker and the head spot is smaller.. females can only have one copy at most as it's a sex linked gene. Want a female, why.... just look with your own eyes and pick up the darker ones.

Mind you, it does not work if the line is not pure for barring, as males can have one or two copies, the males with only one copy will look same as the females. So from a mixed backyard or from a line from barreds that throw solid blacks too, this is not fool proof, simply avoid the 'lighter looking ones'.

I have no idea if sebrights are sexable at such young age.

anyways enjoy your birds!

9. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Kev..im in awe of your chicken knowledge!!!!! Thanks again and im enjoying my 18 (supposed to be 6 but became obsessed instantly)!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by