Sexing 1 week old Wyandotte chicks and 6 month old Silkies...

MrsBird2011

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
Straughn, IN
Okay chicken pros, I have a predicament....

I bought 5, 1 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte chicks off a local farmer. Problem is, they were straight run ..... I bought them as a first time chicken owner for the eggs and chicks I can produce and sell. You can see my problem if I end up with 4 cockrels and 1 pullet....

I also have 2 white Silkies I bought as a breeding pair for more silkie chicks. The farmer was positive they were a pair, but everything online has told me that they're both cockrels...this is also a big problem.

Can anyone help me vent sex:

-- 1 week old Wyandottes
-- 6 month old Silkies

Thanks!

You've passed the window to safely vent sex any of your chicks. Vent sexing should be done on chicks that are less than 24 hours old. At this point, you're going to have to wait the Wyandottes out.

If you post pictures of your Silkies, we could probably help you determine their gender. I've been breeding them for years now, so I've gotten *pretty* good at figuring them out.

Here are the Silkies. Don't have names yet, so they're just #1 and #2. I'm 90% positive #1 is a Roo. But #2 is a little more difficult.

Last edited:
As far as your little Wyandotte, around age four to five weeks, the feathers coming in should be more vivid and dark if you have a cockerel. Look at photos of GLW pullets at that age to get your comparison when your chick gets that old. Wyandottes are notorious for being hard to sex out of the egg. But if it's a cockerel you have, his behavior will probably give him away already in that he'll be aggressive at a pretty young age.

We have one that's really large and slow to feather but really quite sweet, a small slow-feathering runt, then the rest are about medium height with tail and wing feathers already.

Back
Top Bottom