Sexing 12 week old Araucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MommieHen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MommieHen

MommieHen New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Florida
    I was wondering if anyone can tell what is what, yet? Or is it still too early?
    They are 12 weeks old. They look like they are getting little tufts. Two are completely rumpless, at this point in time. They grow so fast!

Thanks! :)

This one looks different than the others. It almost looks like it is part Black French Copper Maran. It looks a lot like the BFCM I got from the same breeder as the Araucanas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite. I think this one is a hen.

[​IMG]

This one I am leaning Rooster.

[​IMG]

This is Scruffy. I am leaning Rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is both of the gray and white Araucanas.

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I pretty sure the first one is a cockerel and the second is a pullet.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Not relevant to the discussion, but I love your third and seventh pictures. :)

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think your favorite may be your only hen... and possibly the black one. The splotchiness and red combs of the rest look very rooey to me. Btw, your fave is gorgeous!

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Your second is a hen and the 3rd is a roo. They are the two nicest looking as far as araucana go.
    The pullet has lovely lacing. If the blue roo grows up and doesn't have any color bleeding thru anywhere, his color will be good.

Lanae

6. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    I think 1) Roo 2) Pullet 3) Roo 3) Roo

7. MommieHen

MommieHen New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks, everyone! This is our first experience with chickens and we have really enjoyed having them. Even though, I ended up with more roosters than hens. :)
    Scruffy has started to crow. The other gray and white one has tried to crow, but needs a little more practice. :)
    We are getting 6 laying Rhode Island Reds today. We can't wait to have some eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by