1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing 16 wk Austeolorps

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sgtsalt79, Jan 13, 2014.

1. sgtsalt79

sgtsalt79 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    These Austrolorps were hatched the first week if Sept along with some Orphingtons. We sexed the orphs long ago but I'll be darned if I can tell if the Austrolorps are hens or Roos! Please help!
    The first two pics are bird #1 and the third pic is bird #2. Wasn't able to get the second one to approach the camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is bird #2.
    [​IMG]

2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    When Aussies are real small, like the first week or two, the female's tail feathers are a lot longer than the males. Later on I think the best way to tell is by the comb. The male's comb will grow a lot faster than the female's. If you can get better head shots it would be easier to tell but from looking "I think" the first is a roo and the second a pullet. You will love Aussie layers - very sweet and very productive birds.

...if there is a big difference in the combs, the one with the more developed comb is the rooster. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Both are pullets starting to mature it seems. A rooster would be more noticeable at this age.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    both are pullets

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You appear to have two pullets.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that both are pullets.

7. sgtsalt79

Sep 10, 2013
    Hooray! We knew we were taking a risk getting them straight-run since these were the only two Aussies we got so I really hope they are both girls! The hatchery that sold them to us told me she found them one of the hardest breeds to sex since they mature more slowly than most other breeds. If they are indeed girls one is going to be dubbed Queen Victoria (Queenie for short) and the other is Atilla the Hen (Tilly). Thanks for the input!

8. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say both are pullet, especially at that age.

I have a few Australorps and the males are certainly noticeable before 10 weeks bu the comb and wattles. By 15 weeks the hackle and saddle feathers are also pretty clear.

This Black and Blue are 9 weeks in the pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sgtsalt79

Sep 10, 2013
    Are they both males?

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    OP birds are both pullets.