Sexing 3 week old chicks? * PICTURE HEAVY*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gg706, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a mix of Araucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They are 3 weeks old. At 3 weeks old I see some changes taking place...however this is my first time raising chicks so I am not sure what to look for. I would like to find out as soon as possible who are pullets and who are roos. I have a few gut feelings about a few being roos [​IMG] I wasn't planning on keeping any roos, they were going to be raised up to be butchered. Also would be my first time butchering anything. Now I find myself getting attached to them. If I posted pics of them would experienced BYC members be able to sex them with some accuracy, or are they still too young?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Can't hurt to post, never know if the opinions will be right, but it couldn't hurt! Good Luck!

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Post some photos, can't hurt to see what we think.

4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I will post some....I'll go take some pics! Thanks!

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yup, pictures will do the trick. If you don't want to butcher them, you can always sell them!

6. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Here some pics of a few of them... I will post 2 pics of each chick

Chick 1- ARAUCANA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2- ARAUCANA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 3- ARAUCANA small but spars with others sometimes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 4-ARAUCANA........ Is bigger than the other Araucanas spars with others sometimes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 5- ARAUCANA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 6- LAVENDER ORPINGTON 1 of 2 that look the same both are large- spars with others

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 7 - LAVENDER ORPINGTON - smaller than the other 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 8 - LAVENDER ORPINGTON
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 9- BLUE LACED RED WYANDOTTE The largest chick by far...... bossy! Spars with others- runs and puts to rest any excitement
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 10- BLRW
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 11- BLRW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 12- BLRW 1 pic

[​IMG]

Chick 13- BLRW 1 pic

[​IMG]

I have 3 more chicks pics wouldnt download....maybe I have too much. Please let me know what you think. If you don't mind please let me know why you think roo or pullet so I can learn what to look for, also please say how sure you are about your educated guess. THANK YOU!

7. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Hmmm....
    Chick 1- TYTT (too young to tell)
    Chick 2- I would say pullet because of the classic pullet coloring
    Chick 3- Again would say pullet because of coloring
    Chick 4- Roo. Look at those legs and that stance!
    Chick 5- Pullet
    I would say LO #8 is a pullet. I'm not sure about the others. They do look a bit rooish, though.
    Chick 9- Roo, and acutally a gold lace wyandotte, no blue laced red.
    For the other wyandottes all look like pullets so far but really it could be either way.

8. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    @ StarLover21 THANK YOU SO MUCH! I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to check them out! [​IMG] All the ones you said you thought were roo's were also the ones I was thinking were roos. So my gut feelings were pretty accurate! I am pretty sad the black one with the yellow spots on his head is a roo....it is my favorite....[​IMG]. I wasn't planning on keeping any roos. I was going to butcher them, but now I am getting attached to them. Not sure what I am going to do....[​IMG]

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My Lavender Orpingtons were easy to tell by 4 weeks old - Francis, the only rooster, had been bigger then the other 4 since birth. They all had similar combs until week 4, suddenly his shot out & turned pink and the pullet's combs stayed about the same size. Ignore the dots on the head and the weird blue color - I did both of those things - rookie mistakes.

Here my daughter is holding a 2 week old pullet.
    [​IMG]

Here is the two week old Francis, rooster.
    [​IMG]

Here they are at 3 weeks old - Francis is the one in the front on the left with the larger comb. By 4 weeks old the comb is much larger and redder then the pullets.
    [​IMG]

Here they are at 5 weeks old - Francis red comb on top, pullet on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011

[​IMG] Looking back I think that if I had to guess on the LO, I would say #6 is a roo and the other two are pullets. Sorry about your favorite being a roo :( Is there any way you can keep them? Are they legal where you live, or do you just not want one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by