Sexing 3 week olds. Silver Pencil Wyandottes and Wheatan Marans (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ashley80, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

Hi it's been a long time since I last posted, mainly because my girls have been problem-free for the last couple of years (yay!). This year I broke out my incubator again, these chicks are just 3 weeks old. Any guesses on sex? I know I'm a bit early, but I'm giving some of them to a friends kids for Christmas presents when they visit tomorrow (they lots most of their flock to a fox a few months ago) and real don't want to give them boys. The ones I'm interested in getting your opinion on are French Wheatan Marans (not great quality, was disappointed in the colour of the eggs when delivered) and Silver Pencil Wynodottes. The plain grey ones hatched from some blue eggs, but I hate to call them Araucanas as I'm in Australia and I don't think what we call an Araucans is the same as in the USA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank You!

ps some of the SPWS look a bit brown. it's just the light, they are actually black and white.

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Honestly, they all could go either way right now. Just try to give them any of the shy birds with tiny, flat, yellow combs and skinny legs (i.e. not SPW 3). Sorry I can't help more [​IMG] 5 weeks is a much better time to guess.

3. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks, I suspected as much. Was hoping these breeds might have some early indicator that I hadn't heard about. I might just get them to wait until their next visit, they are not tough farm kids, there were lots of tears after the fox incident, I doubt their mum wants to deal with that again when they have to 're-home' any accidental roosters.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I believe both of the Wheatens are females. Wheaten Marans are sexable by feather coloring by the age of about 10 days or so. Do you have any photos of the Wheatens that is a bit younger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by