Sexing 5 week old rir

devouston

Hatching
Apr 13, 2016

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of the gender of my 5 week old rir.

Is there any wattle development going on? The angle of the photo makes that impossible to see as well as obscures to a point the comb as far as getting a good idea of color.
What you have is a "production" bred rhode island red -- so a production red, a true RIR would be a much darker red color.

Its my first time raising chicks. Let me get another pic for you. I dont really see a lot of wattle development but i have nothing to compare her to. She is a bully though. Lol Her comb is much more pink in color than what my camera is showing and in the last couple days has grown a lot.

Its my first time raising chicks. Let me get another pic for you. I dont really see a lot of wattle development but i have nothing to compare her to. She is a bully though. Lol Her comb is much more pink in color than what my camera is showing and in the last couple days has grown a lot.
That one looks identical to my production RIR "girls", I'm waiting a bit to post their photos but I'm pretty sure they're all girls for now. I'm gonna follow this, lol. They are so much fun so far, don't know why I didn't get chickens sooner.
big_smile.png

These are my 5 week RIR not sure of the sex yet but i reckon both are males. The first 2 pics are the one and the 3/4th are the 2nd chick. Very scraggy lol. Hopefully not males but.slow on the feathers comb quite big on both. And also big thick legs

Back
Top Bottom