Sexing 6 Month Old Bourbon Red Turkey, Hen, or Tom?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
I have a Bourbon Red Turkey that's not showing signs of being a hen, or tom.
I keep thinking boy, then girl, then boy again.
I would really appreciated the help given.
Will take pictures tomorrow.

I have a Bourbon Red Turkey that's not showing signs of being a hen, or tom.
I keep thinking boy, then girl, then boy again.
I would really appreciated the help given.
Will take pictures tomorrow.
If the turkey is 6 months old, it should be able to be sexed from photos. To aid in the determination, it is best to have a full side view, a full front view and a picture from behind and above which includes the back of the neck and top of the head. Photos need to be in focus.

Late developing toms can take longer to determine their sex.

If the turkey is 6 months old, it should be able to be sexed from photos. To aid in the determination, it is best to have a full side view, a full front view and a picture from behind and above which includes the back of the neck and top of the head. Photos need to be in focus.

Late developing toms can take longer to determine their sex.
Okay. I'll get those pictures as soon as I can today.
The Turkey's feathers on the body, & breast feathers are tipped black, which I read meant tom. Is that info correct, or is that the same with hens? Curious.
My dad named 'em Red.

Okay. I'll get those pictures as soon as I can today.
The Turkey's feathers on the body, & breast feathers are tipped black, which I read meant tom. Is that info correct, or is that the same with hens? Curious.
My dad named 'em Red.
The adult breast feathers of a dark colored hen turkey will have a light colored lower edge on her breast feathers. The adult breast feathers of a dark colored male turkey will have dark colored lower edges on his breast feathers. Bourbon Reds are considered dark colored turkeys.

If your Bourbon Red has dark colored lower edges on its breast feathers, it is a tom. Young Bourbon Reds of both sexes have light colored lower edges on their breast feathers until they get their adult breast feathers

The adult breast feathers of a dark colored hen turkey will have a light colored lower edge on her breast feathers. The adult breast feathers of a dark colored male turkey will have dark colored lower edges on his breast feathers. Bourbon Reds are considered dark colored turkeys.

If your Bourbon Red has dark colored lower edges on its breast feathers, it is a tom. Young Bourbon Reds of both sexes have light colored lower edges on their breast feathers until they get their adult breast feathers
Okay, I'll also try to get pictures of those too if you'd like?

I just raised 9 poults and have 2 to go. I have ALOT of feathers and all of my males have the black/dark edges on their feathers. None of my hens do. They are 5-1/2 months old. Love to see pics!
I'll be getting pictures tomorrow since I'll have more time.

Here's Red, ignore the photo bombers.
1010191228.jpg
1010191225.jpg
1010191223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom