Sexing 6 week old Serama chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marie_martin, Jun 8, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Is it possible? Or do I have to wait and see?

#1 Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 White?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any guesses or do I just wait a few weeks? As you can tell the two blacks are the same size and the whitish one is very tiny. But I don't know if that is because it is a girl or just a smaller sized serama. Thanks.

Marie

2. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    No guesses? Anyone?

Marie

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know... I have never had any... but it seems like you should see some signs of something by now... maybe they are all pullets????

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
  5. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 may stay black but most likely will have a little white-very little.

#2 looks as a solid black bird should at that age in serama anyways..

#3 and yes as bad as i hate letting one get away that is going to be a white bird, %$&@##@!

good luck

frank

ps- they all look like pullets..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks Frank. I have never hatched girls here. I always get mostly roos. So I am excited. Just put 14 more eggs in the hatcher. Will probably get lots of roos. Will keep you posted.

Marie

PS. sorry about getting one of your whites

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    well, i'm a newbie but i've hatched several seramas in the last few months and i agree - pullets all!
    you are LUCKY!!!!
    [​IMG]

8. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Yes, considering that all of my cochins are boys, I guess that is good. But I do need one roo. I am sure that if any of this second batch make it I will get my share of boys. Thanks.

Marie

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My friend raises Serama's and she told me that you can tell pretty early because the males will get pretty red in the comb...they don't look red at all! I would guess hens. I have a tiny tiny baby that is yellow with black spots. He/She is about a week and 1/2 old now. I just can't believe how tiny thy are. I have her in with the big girls who are two weeks old and she is holding her own very well.

10. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Yes they are tiny. These guys have been in with some bantam cochins born at the same time and have held their own pretty well. I did have one mishap when mama silkie first started taking them out. One baby got trampled by some much older birds in a downpour. But no mishaps since. So I guess they take pretty good care of themselves for their size. But they are tiny. And my white one is really tiny.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by