Sexing 7 week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CocoPopz, Feb 17, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I have 2 white silkie cross cream legbar chicks
    1 hybrid (caged brown hen) cross cream legbar chick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're now 7 weeks old, I believe that straight away the chicks still carried the auto sexing gene and I guess two of them we're girlies and the yellow/white one was a roo.
    They have become very beautiful, just wanted to double check I was right?
    1) white feather, blue legs, pink comb (believed to be a roo, ScrossCCL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2) S cross CCL (beloved to be pullet) bantam size blue/black skin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3) hybrid (rescued brown caged hen) cross CCL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also believed to be a pullet.
    Just wondered if people agree with me and thought it was quite interesting they kept their auto sexing gene

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with your guesses; the white one does look like a cockerel and the others look like pullets.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree with the gender assessments...Interesting and cute combinations.

If I understand the barring genetics correctly, it would be more luck than auto-sexing if you used a CCL roo (which I am assuming you did since I know one hen was a red battery cage hen).

That would create a barred roo over either a red hen or a white hen, if I followed your mixing.

The barring would be dominant on all of them but not showing on the white feathers...you can see the white head spot (indicating barring) on both a chipmunk chick (girl) and the yellow (white) chick. The other chipmunk chick does not show the head dot, was that CCL roo as well?

In CCL autosexing, only the males have the white head dot while the females are straight chipmunk. Your clutch had a female with a white head dot, and a female without a head dot...so the autosexing broke down there.

Chipmunking may have had to do with more of the wildtype, which the white would have absorbed as well.

You can actually see if the percentages of autosexing worked for you with this gene calculator...but while I am no expert in any way with the genetics since I'm still trying to learn...I know with my Rhodebar experience the wheaten with white head dot is considered a failure as would a partridge (chipmunk) with a head dot that was not male.

Fun to try to figure out the genetics though.
    http://www.breedbook.org/?action=geneticscalculator&tab=CHICKEN

My 2 cents (which is probably worth more like a penny)

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Thank you, yes it was a CCL cockerel, I do have a white silkie cockerel in there too but no way is that white one a full silkie because his comb is discoloured and not black/blue and when he was a chick he had markings from a CCL?

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    yes...the white head dot on the yellow chick would indicate barring on white. He may show ghost barring when he grows older....if I have my color genetics correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by