sexing 7 week old Sussex Cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nickmancity, Oct 14, 2012.

1. nickmancity

nickmancity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Hi, i have five 7week old Sussex cross and i need to sex them , i have a feeling i have two Roo`s and 3 hens but can someone please confirm this for me via my pics , thanks ...
    [​IMG]

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert on the breed, but my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) is, the only pullet is the bottom front[​IMG]. I think 7 weeks is far too early to see red on a pullets comb, but what do I know? Hopefully I'm wrong[​IMG].

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Bottom front could go either way - either a pullet or a slow developing cockerel. The rest look like cockerels.

4. Gardeningmama

I read on your other thread Bantams, that these were"offered" to you, and you said you are a novice. I think you've been taken advantage of. The person that had them would have known that they were roo's. I saw that you were asking for advice on Bantams, and let me apologize for no one responding to you. I've had plenty of my questions go unanswered too. Bantams are wonderful. I really love Silkies for the kids. Large Fowl are nice too, it just depends on what you want them for. Hand held pets, or eggs? Bantams lay eggs, but with some you need 3 eggs to make one standard egg (like my D'Uccle eggs). I love my bantams, but I need my big girls for the eggs.

ONE MORE THING:[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I think I'm seeing a bunch of roos there. [​IMG] I hope I am wrong for your sake though.[​IMG]

6. nickmancity

nickmancity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    thanks for your help chaps , i have to say though im gutted , if i got 2 i would have been happy but to get none has annoyed me if thats the case , they were fore sale at $10 the lot 4 week old cross sussex..........and ive sort of got attached to them now and they trust me too ......at what age do they start all the morning noise ? and at what age are they good for eating ,not that i really want to but who will take 4 or 5 roos....?

7. Gardeningmama

I would think you'd start to hear some crowing by 16 wks. or so, but like I said...no expert on the breed. On another topic..I just figured out you're from Australia.....I dream[​IMG] of Australia. Lucky You!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by