Sexing 8 week old White Leghorns ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lost in Wellsboro Pa., May 20, 2011.

1. Lost in Wellsboro Pa.

Lost in Wellsboro Pa. New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible for a novice like me to sex chickens at 8 weeks old ? I made the mistake of buying 12, -- 2 week old White Leghorns because they were on a " Special " sale. Thanks!!

2. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I may make a suggestion, try posting in the "What Breed/Gender is this?" section. Someone there may be able to help.
    Good Luck!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    By 8 weeks you should be able to easily tell the difference between male and female with White Leghorns. The boys start growing their combs out early and they will be noticeably larger than the girls. I could sex all of mine by six weeks. All five of the cockerels that I had ordered and one extra that was supposed to be a pullet.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A.T. Hagan :

By 8 weeks you should be able to easily tell the difference between male and female with White Leghorns. The boys start growing their combs out early and they will be noticeably larger than the girls. I could sex all of mine by six weeks. All five of the cockerels that I had ordered and one extra that was supposed to be a pullet.

x2. Just watch them and compare against each other. You'll figure out who are rooster and who are not. And if you still can't figure it out, then post pics here!​

5. Lost in Wellsboro Pa.

Lost in Wellsboro Pa. New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I will take a closer look this mornimg. They all have combs so I hope I see smaller ones. Have a Great Day!

6. madditremaine

madditremaine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Lyles Tennessee
    Hey. I am fairly sure I have white leghorns, and they all have combs as well. Almost none of them act like roosters, but plenty have the comb to be roosters. Its really qyite frustrating. Can anyone tell me when the spurs start growing so I can look for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by