Sexing 9-10wk old Ameraucana/EEs *with Pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pepsquad, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Pepsquad

Pepsquad New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    About 9-10 weeks ago we bought our first chicks from a breeder. We bought 4 RIR and 2 Ameraucana/EE. The breeder said they were Ameraucana, but I know that name is used interchangeably a lot of the time with EE's, so I'm not too sure which they are. We are needing to rehome our roosters, only problem is I don't know which of the EEs are Roos. Of the 4 RIR's we only had one rooster and I was hoping to get one hen from the 2 Ameraucana/EE. I thought my kids would just love getting colored eggs! If anyone could give me any insight on their sex I'd really appreciate it. I've grown really attached to the whiter one, so I'm hoping she (named Lucy) isn't a he. Lucy had really bad pasty butt as a chick and required a lot of care, so we bonded. Although I guess I could just change her name to Lucifer if she really was a he... [​IMG] And is it normal for this breed of bird to be very calm and docile? I open the coop and the RIR's are jumping out and ready to play. These 2 are very content to sit around and always run to the back of the cage when the door is opened.

[​IMG]
    darker bird
    [​IMG]
    lighter bird
    [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Pullets...

Here are my 6 week old chicks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    [​IMG]

Looks like EE pullets. Enjoy your colored eggs!

4. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    I realize I will be no help, but I have some EE & ameraucanas that are 10wks old and all of them have pinkish starting to come in on the comb. Mine are suppose to all be pullets! I am completly guessing on yours but I would say EE pullets!

5. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    Quote:Great pic! Are all these EE/ameraucanas?? I can def. tell the boys and girls! Thank u for posting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by