Sexing a 4 w/o "Ameraucana"/EE chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macaron, Oct 1, 2016.

1. macaron

macaron New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Hi, BYC! [​IMG]

A bit of backstory:
    In February/March of this year, we went to our local Orscheln's during "chick days" to begin a flock of our own. Among the other chicks and ducklings, we bought two Ameraucana pullets (who I suspect were actually EEs).
    We hadn't had a single problem until last month, when our neighbor's dog got loose and managed to kill every single chicken of our flock (and two of our five ducks). [​IMG]

After making several repairs to our coop and run, we set off for Orscheln's. Our hearts heavy and our hopes low, we did not expect them to have any chicks at this time of the year. Imagine our surprise when we found a few boxes of them!

Due to how few chicks they had, the majority of them -- including the Ameraucanas -- were straight-run, leaving it up to us to sex them. We picked out what we thought were two Ameraucana pullets who resembled our old flock members, as well as a rooster who had an injured eye.

Present-day:
    They are 4 weeks old tomorrow. While I'm content with the results from sexing two of the three, one of the "pullets" is beginning to look like a rooster to me... and of course it's my favorite one! I'd like to believe that I'm overthinking it, because, in all seriousness, I may be! [​IMG]

So, BYC, put my fears to rest: cockerel or pullet? Is it too early to tell?

September 18th (2 weeks old)
    [​IMG]

September 27th (3 1/2 weeks old)
    [​IMG]
    For comparison, here are the other two on the same day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

September 28th (3 1/2 weeks old)
    [​IMG]

If they're needed, I can get more pictures in the morning. [​IMG] Thank you for the help!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not seeing any obvious cockerel signs at this point - I'd put this one in the "pullet" column.
    What is it you are seeing that is causing you concern?

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

I'd agree. :) Cute little babies by the way!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm also thinking pullet, but it's early days to say so with confidence. No cockerel signs that I'm seeing.

Post again around 6-7 weeks, EE males are usually apparent by then.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It's too young to tell. Wait another couple weeks

6. macaron

macaron New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Thank you all for the posts!

I was seeing some comb development (though, to be fair, it was not a lot) while the other pullet didn't have any. I'm aware they develop at different paces, but it still concerned me. [​IMG] I suppose I'm worrying too much because it's my favorite. Thank you!

Just to be safe, I'll wait and see as she gets older.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet at this moment in time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by