1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing a 9 Week Old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twitchybug52, Apr 24, 2016.

1. twitchybug52

twitchybug52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Catlettsburg, KY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm new to chicken raising and we were given a barred rock that was an unwanted Easter gift. It's roughly 9 weeks old and I'm having trouble telling if it's a pullet or cockerel. Can anybody help me? I can take more pictures if needed.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Coloring is dark for a cockerel, but that's a lot of comb for a 9 week old. I am not positive, but I think cockerel.

3. twitchybug52

Apr 24, 2016
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I've been watching videos on how to tell and I've been told the coloring is more pullet but the comb is more cockerel. Im sure time will tell for certain.Thanks!

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Definitely cockrel, but because of the coloring I wonder if it's actually a black sex link or a cuckoo marans instead of a barred rock.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's a cockerel. I'm also thinking black sex link, not pure barred Rock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yep. Black sexlink cockerel.

8. twitchybug52

Apr 24, 2016
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Black sex link makes more sense. Thanks! I can't have roosters where I live so I guess he's going to have to find another home. [​IMG]

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, I agree the color in dark like a pullet but the comb seems large. What color are the front of the legs? Supposedly white wash legs are cockerel and dark legs are pullet. I have 3 barred rocks that are 10 weeks old. One has had me thinking roo because of how white she is. But none of them have combs as big as that. I would say that sometimes they just don't fit the standard and each is an individual...

Interesting question about being another breed. Cuckoo Marans seems a lot less common than Barred Rock.

Best wishes either way :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by