1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing a D'uccle chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by flowerchicks, Sep 29, 2009.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I was wondering at what age you can start to sex a D'uccle. Mine is about 8 weeks old and has a small comb that is already redder than the combs on my 3 month old pullets (all different breeds). I wasn't sure if maybe this is normal for D'uccles or if maybe she's a he. Won't matter, except I will have to change her name from Daisy [​IMG]

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Can you post a pic? Chance are if it has a red comb already, it is a roo. [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yep. I noticed that at a early age I could already tell the roos from the rest with their bright red combs!

4. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I will try to post a pic tonight. If she's a he, he will be the roo to 3 full size hens and 2 bantams.

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Of all my porcelain d'uccles, the pullets combs didn't start to turn red until about a month after the boys. Sounds like you've got a boy there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by