1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing a duckling, kinda urgent. Help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Well, after we ordered from Ideal (and we were only keeping one duckling) my fiance roped me into keeping one more, a pekin. I have two runners and now a snowy mallard, little ducks... And he convinced me to keep the gigantic pekin!

I am a bit worried about the sex of this pekin because it drastically alters my future pen building. I personally do not want a big gigantic pekin mounting and practically moltesting my little ducks if it's a boy. So i thought i'd build a pen where they would be seperated at night, and have seperate runs, right next to each other to they can still see each other.

If it's a girl, they get a bigger new pen and a bigger run.

But here's the bad part... The babies are a week old, and in about 6-7 weeks they'll need to move in with the runners, hence we need a nice big pen/coop. BUT, in four weeks I have having surgery that will require nearly 6 weeks of recovery. Building a pen will be out of the question then. So, I need to get cracking on this pen before my surgery takes place. two weeks before the surgery i am going on special medicine and a diet that may make me crabby, tired, fatigued, etc... So for those two last weeks, i may not be up to building the pen.... (And my fiance, bless his heart, does not have a creative bone in his body... he's really book smart, but not smart at anything practical, lol)

So, the day i start my medicine/diet is Feb 11th. I would like to finsh the pen before then so i won't have to worry about it later. (Maybe start on the 3rd). But Peter will only be 3 weeks only then. Which doesn't seem old enough to tell the sex by looking/listening.

So i have some questions-

1.) if you had pekins, when were you able to tell it's sex by? and how did you know?

2.) when do they start quacking?

3.) when do the tail feathers come in?

4.) can anyone in or near alabama sex ducklings? He's over a week old now. I don't mind driving to you and paying a fee for your services!

If any one can help let me know!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would just build the bigger pen.
    That way you are prepared for anything, from separating a masher drake to getting more ducks in the future. [​IMG]
    Make it easy as possible. You don't need the stress.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know how to sex ducklings, well, I do know how it's done, but I've never done it, and would not feel comfortable telling someone how to do something I myself don't know, if that makes any sense [​IMG]

However, I have 2 baby pekins, one boy and one girl. The girl started trying to quack at 2 weeks old. [​IMG]

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    well, I have limited space, and i plan to build it the same square footage either way... but how it's divided will change... Meaning how i put it together.... Plus, as many of you anlready know, my ducks spend a lot of their time inside in their indoor pens. I plan on connecting the new "sleeper" pen to the already large pen i have built (for a run) ... If i have a boy, i'll split the big pen in half so they each have a run (girls and the boy). But if he's a boy it requires an extra door to get to him, and an extra door to get to the run. It requires a seperater in the sleep pen as well as the run.

And I'd have to put it together before feb 11th when the process for my surgery starts. I also have to get it primed and painted so it doesn't asborb any smells/stains. my snowy mallard is the same age as the pekin so i am hoping i'll being able to hear a difference between the sounds... I would really like to know for sure...

As you can see, i'm aon a time crunch! I tried to see if i could move my surgery a week or two later, but the doctor says it's already late enough as it is... So that is not an option.

I tried peeking in the little bum myself, but i don't know what i am looking for. It sounds easy online, like it's really easy to tell, but it all just looks pink to me. lol

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The boys will have a corkcrew looking thing come out, the girls don't [​IMG] Other than that, I don't know.

6. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Terrielacy, I love your avatar!!

7. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    does the cork screw thing only come out when you press on the cloaca or pull it open? Otherwise i just see squishy duck butt. lol.

I've looked at the pictures... I don't know how poeple actually do this to day olds, they don't stay still for nothing! lol. I've tried peeking in there but i can't see anything.

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's an acquired skill... I tried on my ducks, more than once, and all I ever saw was squishy duck butt and cranky ducks.... Eventually (after trying 2 or 3 times) I felt like a duck pervert and just kept the ones I liked... pretty sure I got 4 girls! good luck!

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    chickensducks&agoose :

I think it's an acquired skill... I tried on my ducks, more than once, and all I ever saw was squishy duck butt and cranky ducks.... Eventually (after trying 2 or 3 times) I felt like a duck pervert and just kept the ones I liked... pretty sure I got 4 girls! good luck!

[​IMG]

Can you make panels that you can adjust to separate if needed? That way you can put it in place if needed and remove as needed. I can say having a panel that is portable would sure help in coralling as needed. Or you may have to separate for other reasons down the road.​

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Did you order the Pekin or was it a packing peanut? If it was a packing peanut then it is a male, unless Ideal goofed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by