Sexing a muscovy (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yokobunbun, Jul 25, 2010.

1. yokobunbun

yokobunbun New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    I have a white muscovy with a black spot on her head, it''ll be eight weeks old on Thursday.
    I have some pictures, can anyone tell me the gender or any things to look for when sexing it.
    Also, it has some marks on it's face and is missing wing feathers because it got into a scuffle with a chicken.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does not have any red on it's face yet, just a little orange bump on the top of it's bill,
    and some light orange around it's bill.
    It is super friendly and follows people around and makes sort of high-pitched noises
    but doesn't sound like any male or female ducks I have.
    Does anyone know what this duckie is?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Because of the amount of Pin feathers it still has on its wings i would have to say its a Male. It's feet & body also look pretty big and it has a wide tail. Females usually have a smaller body, feet and their tail comes to more of a point and their feather growth is more advanced at this age.

I am most familiar with My Muscovies though, so this is just my opinion on a bird that is strange to me.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a male to me, too.

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    [​IMG]

Can I just sneak in for a minute to see what you guys think mine are? Pretty sure they're all males because they hiss. I got the eggs from rare feathers and hoping she is still on line. Thanks

5. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Hissing is no good indication of sex, as they can all hiss. Females are smaller than males, so from the pick I'd say the three dark ones to the right all lined up are all males, and and the one in front of them is a female. However, the angle isn't good for that one so I could be wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by