sexing a odd BR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by picespugalist, Oct 17, 2011.

1. picespugalist

picespugalist New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    Alcove NY
    OK...so this is my first post. Thank you to everyone for all the info I have been stealing. [​IMG] I bought 7 br hens from the feed store. From the beginning there was one we thought was a different breed. But when they feathered out, all were br. One is light, like Speckaled Hen's Lexis, with early spur development, but no saddles. But, now I am thinking back on the chicks, and one should have been male based on the head spot(I mean 100% different). Now 23 weeks, no eggs, and very hennnish. Any ideas? I know this is bad, choppy writing, but my only internet is on my phone.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some hens feather out light, in spite of the fact that most hatchery hens are indeed darker than the roos. At 23 weeks, you'd likely know if it were a rooster. You'd have MAJOR rooster features and behaviors being betrayed. At 23 weeks, the roosters are soooooo obvious.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    see if you can post us some pics of them [​IMG]

4. picespugalist

picespugalist New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    Alcove NY
    Right, got that, but why did one look like a slw as a chick. I mean the light markings all down the neck at days old? I don't have a pic, but I'm telling you all, they are br, single comb, Barrington, etc. No rooster feathers(I fly tie, I know) so according to all info here, I have 7 br hens. Why did I have 6 br pullets and one oddball?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what color are the legs?

6. picespugalist

picespugalist New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    Alcove NY
    Yellow with some dark spots.

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Not much help, but [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    deffently sounds br...what do the hackle feathers look like are they slinder and pointed and can you see any slinder and pointed saddle feathers?

if you got it from a feed store then its a hatchry quilty br. in hq barred rocks i have seen light, dark, and in between in coloration. from what i understand hactherys breed for egg prodution thus you will get a chicken that looks or may not look like the breed its supposed to even though it is the correct breed

9. picespugalist

picespugalist New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    Alcove NY
    NO pointy hackles, or saddles. I fly tie, I know. I didn't keep track before they feathered out, so the only difference at this age: 1 looks like SH's Lexie. But...I am just curious about this because of the markings as a chick. ..just doesn't add up?

10. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    if we could see them. how do you post pics i don't even know how.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by