sexing a polish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherLynn, May 19, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Are there ways to sex a polish. I have a little one I just got. It can't be more than a week or 2 old. The little bugger is chest butting. He can see his reflection a bit in the clear plastic tub and keeps trying to chest butt his reflection even.

My question in this, he keeps trying to get on the back of my silkie. Keep in mind that my silkie is now the same size as my 7 week old buff orpington. Is this a sign that maybe the silkie is a girl? Its a funny sight but I was hoping it was also a sign.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am going to give you a for-sure answer [​IMG] could be a cockerel but could be a pullet also [​IMG]

Sorry I know I am not helpful (you can [​IMG] me [​IMG] ) but I do have some pullets who are dominate and will chase/mount other chicks. I also have had young hormone driven cockerels who will also. [​IMG]

Pictures of the one in question might help - I do not have polish, so not helpful to me - but I am always happy to look at other peoples chickens.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The top knot looks different for pullets and roos. Females are "rounder", but I'm not sure how old they have to be to be able to see a difference.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    That would be awsome if so. Got the roundest little bumps up there you have ever seen. Also all of these except one who died who was the same age has already gotten tail feathers. They are little buddles of fuzz with tiny little tails. Do females get tail feathers earlier? Would be so awesome if these were girls. Mostly because I have children who are not taking the facts of life about farm animals well. They went through 2 goslings and a chick dying. Butchering time is going to be rough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by