Sexing - A Rooster in the hen House???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mwatro34, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mwatro34

mwatro34 Hatching

Sep 24, 2008
    I think my 12 week old barred rock is possibly a boy. I will post a picture when I can figure out how to do so. The rock is developing a red comb and wattle; and is very aggressive, chasing the girls around the coop constantly.

How can I tell the sex? Thanks, Matt[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    his tail should be differnt, and he will be a whole lot lighter then the hens, we have one and he is a great roo

but i would still need pics for sure

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks like my pullets...roos comb would be much bigger and tons more red...maybe shes just the mother hen?

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not 100% sure without seeing a full body shot, but from what I do see, it looks like a pullet.

5. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I'd say pullet

6. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Looks girly to me!

7. blueheaven

blueheaven Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i have 8 chicks - and 2 of them are barred rocks. purple is a shy barred rock. she will not come close to me and she must be lower in the pecking order. birdie the other rock is much more aggressive and always comes near me. she is the first to greet me and is very friendly. birdies comb is bigger and red compared to purples. they are both pullets. i just think there are differences in hens like in humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: