1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing a White Silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DyingPhoenix, May 12, 2016.

1. DyingPhoenix

DyingPhoenix Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Dewitt, IL
    Hey there! First time chicken owner here and long-time stalker of this site. :)

Can anyone tell me what gender this is? I'm thinking a cockerel but I'm not very experienced.

Here's shortly after I first got him/her with two light brahmas that are dubbed "The Puffs". They are the sweetest.

[​IMG]

And now at around 8 weeks of age:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The poor thing's face looks like a vulture, lmao. Is it going to fill in around it's face?

Also, the silver laced wyandotte up there...Thoughts on the gender of that one as well? Both that and the gold laced have a blush to their combs just like that. They are also around the same age.

All chicks are from the local Rural King.

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    SLW looks pullet to me. Silkie looks like a roo :)

3. DyingPhoenix

May 12, 2016
    Dewitt, IL
    Thank you! It doesn't matter much if the silkie is a roo, I'll still keep it. Any other opinions on the silkie?

4. DyingPhoenix

May 12, 2016
    Dewitt, IL
    Would anyone else add their opinion? :)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the silkie is a roo also, a lot of comb for that age. Is he hatchery bird?

6. DyingPhoenix

May 12, 2016
    Dewitt, IL
    He was in a bin at the local Rural King. I think someone said that cackle hatchery supplies the one in my area but I coud be wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by